Man CityNews

Bernardo Silva’s heroics not enough as City settle for draw against Forest

The City fans were left in disbelief as a late comeback from Forest ensured a nail-biting 1-1 draw.

Bernardo Silva had looked set to be the hero of the day after firing home an incredible free-kick just before half-time. But, as the clock ticked on, substitute Chris Wood prodded the ball home from a Morgan Gibbs-White cross from the right, leveling the match at 84 minutes.

Despite dominating possession for the majority of the game, Pep Guardiola’s team were left ruing missed chances in the second half. The coach will undoubtedly spend time analyzing the game and the team’s play to make improvements for their next outing.

ALSO READ: Manchester City’s Stefan Ortega: The relentless pursuit of excellence in goalkeeping

The City team has remained in second place in the Premier League table, trailing Arsenal by just two points. The Gunners earned a comeback victory over Aston Villa in their Saturday kick-off, putting them in the top spot.

City started off the game with an impressive amount of possession, but struggled to convert that control into goals. In the first 15 minutes, they enjoyed 91% of possession at the City Ground. Forest defended with determination, with Joe Worrall making a great block on Jack Grealish’s shot. On the other end of the pitch, Serge Aurier put his body on the line to stop a left-foot drive by Ilkay Gundogan.

Despite the intense pressure, Forest remained resolute and even launched a counter-attack through Morgan Gibbs-White. However, his shot was well over Ederson’s bar. As the first half continued, City kept up their impressive forward play with Foden, Grealish, and Haaland creating a number of chances. However, they were unable to find the net.

ALSO READ: Rico Lewis – From the Academy to Man City’s First Team

Finally, Bernardo Silva struck with an incredible goal that sent the City fans into a frenzy. However, they could not rest on their laurels, as the second half proved to be a test of endurance for both teams. City kept up the pressure, but it was Forest who struck back in the final minutes, leaving the City faithful with a bittersweet taste in their mouths.

City’s next outing will be in the Champions League Round of 16 first leg clash against RB Leipzig on February 22. The team will undoubtedly be looking to bounce back and make a statement against the German side.

Fidelis Musamba

Christian | City News Centre & TinnovAce founder/CEO | Full Stack Web Developer | MERN Stack Developer | Ethical Hacker | Blogger | Animator | Rapper/Songwriter | Problem Solver | Logical Thinker | Tech Enthusiast | Innovator • 💻 ☕ 📖 🎧

Related Articles

Back to top button